Contemporary Issues in Geriatric Dentistry
This course qualifies the enrollee for 3.5 CE credit hours and the cost is $75. Register for Issues in Geriatric Dentistry. (log-in with CE ID is required)
The course will cover the following topics:
- Oral health care for patients with Alzheimer's disease: An update;
- Personalized Dental Caries Management for Frail Older Adults and Persons with Special Needs; and
- Dentures for the Elderly: Key Factors for Patient Satisfaction.
Participants should be able to:
*Describe the most current concepts about Alzheimer's disease epidemiology, etiology and management, and current oral healthcare strategies for patients with Alzheimer's disease;
*Describe how to provide a program of personalized and effective dental caries management for frail older adults; and
*Recognize key factors for patient satisfaction and apply current evidence-based knowledge to improve their patients’ satisfaction with complete dentures.
Course issued: 4/2021; expires 4/2024
Leonardo Marchini, D.D.S., M.S.D., Ph.D., teaches pre-doctoral and graduate students in the Geriatrics and Special Needs Program and treats patients in the Faculty General Practice at the University of Iowa College of Dentistry and Dental Clinics. He acts as a general practitioner since his graduation in 1996, with an emphasis in prosthodontics and geriatric dentistry. His current research focus includes investigation of factors affecting geriatric oral diseases, conditions and dental treatments; and patients’ satisfaction with prosthodontic treatments. He is also interested on researching about the best way to teach dentistry, with particular interest to geriatric dentistry teaching.
Marchini L, Ettinger R, Caprio T, Jucan A. Oral health care for patients with Alzheimer's disease: An update. Spec Care Dentist. 2019 May;39(3):262-273.
- Marchini L, Ettinger R, Hartshorn J. Personalized Dental Caries Management for Frail Older Adults and Persons with Special Needs. Dent Clin North Am. 2019 Oct;63(4):631-651.
- Colvin J, Dawson DV, Gu H, Marchini L. Patient Expectation and Satisfaction with Different Prosthetic Treatment Modalities. J Prosthodont. 2019;28(3):264–270.
- Silva JCM, Santos JFF, Marchini L. Factors influencing patients’ satisfaction with complete dentures: a qualitative study. Braz Dent Sci 17(2):83-88, 2014
- Marchini L. Patients’ satisfaction with complete dentures: an update. Braz Dent Sci 17(4): 5-16, 2014.