It’s Not Just About Getting Great Dental Care at a Lower Cost.
You are helping to train Iowa's next generation of dentists.
- The student clinics offer quality care with cutting edge technology.
- Treatment is closely supervised by faculty dentists and specialists..
- Treatment takes longer than in private practice and we need:
Patients who have the time to stay for half-day appointments.
Reliable patients who will keep their appointments.
Committed patients who will follow through on treatment recommendations and help our students get the experiences they need.
Cassandra W.'s Review
"I have always been afraid of going to the dentist. This was the first time I did not fear getting treatment. My 4th year student, Jeremy, was extremely patient and caring, and very professional as were all the dentists/instructors that work with the students. I would highly recommend the College of Dentistry."
Process for Becoming a Patient in Student Clinics
Step 1: Screening
- This is a screening only—not a complete examination.
- No dental treatment will be provided at this appointment.
- receive a brief oral evaluation.
- have x-rays taken, if needed. (you will be charged for any x-rays taken)
- discuss your dental needs, concerns, options for treatment and clinic assignments, if applicable.
Step 2: Comprehensive Exam
At your second appointment, a student provider will complete a thorough tooth-by-tooth examination
You will be given a treatment plan outlining and prioritizing your dental needs along with an estimate of costs and time requirements.
A dental cleaning and other dental treatment will be provided at separate, future appointments.
For steps 1 and 2, fees will be charged for services provided which may include, but not limited to, the screening exam, x-rays, comprehensive exam, and any treatment. Fees are subject to change.
- Clinic hours:
- Monday - Friday 8:00 am to 5:00 pm
- Closed on University holidays
- We follow an academic calendar and our student clinics are closed during academic breaks.
- Treatment is available in our student clinics at significantly reduced fees.
- Savings are 1/3 to 1/2 the cost of similar services from a private dental office.
- 48-hour cancellation or reschedule notice required.
- Patients who do not comply with keeping appointments will not be permitted to continue treatment.
- Payment for services is expected on the day of treatment.
- We accept cash, credit card, and debit card.
- A half-down payment will be required on all surgeries, treatment that requires lab work, and more extensive and costly treatment plans BEFORE the treatment is provided.
- Payment plans must be arranged in advance with our business office.
- Most private dental insurance plans are accepted.
- We are an Iowa Medicaid (Title 19) provider, and we are a participating provider with the Iowa Dental Wellness Plan.
- Interpreting services are available at no charge.
- Patients under 18 years old and dependent adults must be accompanied by a parent or legal guardian at all times.
- Patients must make child and/or dependent adult care arrangements prior to dental visit.
- We do not provide daycare services.
- Videos and photos may not be taken in our building without prior written permission.
- Service dogs who are trained to do work or perform task for a person with a disability are welcome in the college.
- Service dogs are permitted in any general public area at the College of Dentistry and Dental Clinics.
- Not permitted in clinical procedural areas. Someone must accompany the patient to stay with the service dog while the patient is receiving treatment.
- Emotional support or therapy animals and pets do not qualify as service dogs and may not be in the building,
- On-site parking is available at an hourly rate.
- Call our greeter desk at (319) 384-4353 for assistance getting in the building.