The 2022 American Academy of Periodontology (AAP) held its 108th Annual Meeting in Phoenix, Arizona from October 27 to October 30. The University of Iowa Department of Periodontics had excellent participation with numerous invited speakers and recognitions.
- Juhi Uttamani, assistant professor of periodontics, was the national finalist for the Research Forum competition and one of the four finalists in the basic science research category.
- I-Ching Wang and Sukirth Ganesan, assistant professors of periodontics, were both invited speakers at the annual meeting, providing a prestigious opportunity to represent Iowa nationally.
- Wang was also one of the few invited clinicians across the country to be part of the Geislitch Clinical Forum.
- Ganesan was also invited as one of 25 clinicians across the country to be part of the Hack-a-thon conducted by the Osteology Foundation to brainstorm ideas for a National Osteology Group of North America.
- Ganesan was also invited as a moderator and served on the judging panel for the Balint Orban and Research Forum competitions.
- Gustavo Avila-Ortiz, professor emeritus, received the Distinguished Scientist Award from the academy. Avila-Ortiz, the former chair of periodontics, had a productive academic career at Iowa and served on the faculty for more than ten years.